Monday, March 4, 2013

Concepts of Print-Willie the Word Finder and Spencer the Spacer





Concepts of print and the Common Core State Standards can be a little tricky when we are working with younger kids.  I have created Willie the word finder and Spencer the special spacer to help my students understand that sentences are made of words.  There are spaces between words and BOTH help us make a picture in our heads when we read.  

I took a worm graphic for Willie and a spider graphic for Spencer.  I enlarged them and used glue dots (MY FAVORITE) to adhere them to flat dowels.(I found them at Wal-Mart!!)

When working with big books or sentence strips, I have one student responsible for each pointer and finding the words or spaces written on a page or sentence strip. 

The same graphics were shrunk very small to fit on the end of a Popsicle stick to use during small groups. They are so versatile, you can use the Popsicle sticks with partner reading and as reminders for independent reading as well!



These are slick!  Both songs are to the same tune, You Are My Sunshine!

Willie the Word Finder
My name is Willie the word finder. 
 I find the words that you read and write.  
Each sends a picture of a story that is colorful and bright.

Spencer the Special Spacer
My name is Spencer, the special spacer.
I find the spaces between each word.
Spaces slow me down...and help my thinking.
How the words make a picture for me!

Click for a master copy:
:

In addition, I use Jack Hartman's "Words" song from Shake, Rattle and Read to reinforce the concept of words.   I LOVE everything Jack Hartmann writes for early literacy!

I would love to hear how these work for you!

No comments:

 
back to top
Pin It button on image hover