Monday, February 25, 2013

Goodnight, Moon by Margaret Wise Brown~Early Literacy




I am on a mission to integrate new phonemic awareness activities into my reading/language instruction. My first new idea is to work with the simple rhymes in Goodnight, Moon by Margaret Wise Brown using magnetic picture/word matches.
I absolutely LOVE anything that Make, Take and Teach posts on its blog and I have been intrigued with their cookie sheet magnetic activities so I decided to give it a try with the easy rhymes in this book.
Aside from the suspiciously "clean" cookie sheet that my son washed, my first attempt at this interactive rhyming game was a hit with the Prekindergarten kids that I worked with today!  I like the way Make, Take and Teach has painted cookie sheets.  That is on my list of things to do when I have time...

This is what my sheets looked like:



I have seen teachers using large oil pans as magnetic boards on Pinterest.  I think this activity would be engaging in that format as well.  I am going to invest in an oil pan for my literacy work stations next year.

It was worth the time to make this activity and I will definitely check out the packets to purchase at the Teachers Pay Teachers store!

To purchase a copy of Goodnight Moon through Amazon.com, please click the title. Goodnight Moon  
Cheers!

No comments:

 
back to top
Pin It button on image hover