Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Scar by Charlotte Moundlic



The Scar by Charlotte Moundlic is a realistic look at death, grief and loss through the eyes of a young boy struggling with the death of his Mom.  Throughout this book, the boy demonstrates anger, sadness, conflict, empathy, loss, pain, hope and remembrance--all emotions that we struggle with when someone we love dies.

 

Theresa's Thoughts:
I was so happy to have discovered this book through the Kids Book Review, http://www.kids-bookreview.com/2011/11/review-scar.html.  The Scar immediately went into my Amazon cart and I received it last week, read it and cried.  This author accurately voices how everybody feels when someone they love dies.  The ability to write these feelings through the voice of a child is priceless for every child to come who receives this book at the loss of their Mother. It will validate their fears, words and actions-that everything that happened and will happen is normal and o.k.  Don't we all want to hear that?

The scene where the boy's Mom tells him that she is not going to get better left me in tears...
"I told her that she could come back after she was rested, that I would wait for her.  She said that she wished she could but that it wasn't possible.  Her smile got smaller and her eyes were a bit wet.  That made me mad, and I shouted that if it was going to be like that, I wouldn't be her son anymore, that she shouldn't have had a kid if she was going to leave before he was grown up.  She laughed a big, but I cried because I knew that she was really going to die."
Later, the boy expresses his fear that he will not ever be able to smell his Mother again so he closes all of the windows, but his Grandmother opens them.

"I shout and cry and scream, 'No!  Don't open the windows!  Mom's going to disappear for good...'  And I fall and the tears flow without stopping an there's nothing I  can do and I feel very tired."
The last few pages show hope, love and healing.

"He (Dad) opens his arms to me, I throw myself in them, and my heart beats so hard I can almost hear Mom whispering, 'Go on, my little man.  Go on..." 
What a beautiful book...

Release Date:  2011
Age Group:  5 and up
ISBN:  978-0-7636-5341-5
Genre:  Fiction
Topic:   Death, Grief & Coping







2 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow - I didn't know about this book and it sounds like a MUST for a school counselor! Thanks for the great review.

Barbara

Trifecta Book Reviews said...

Thank you back, Barb! I love your site @ The Corner on Character! Theresa

 
back to top
Pin It button on image hover